Creating a bridge between tools and culture – Northpower
Northpower came to Wilson Consulting Group looking to create a cultural shift from ‘good’ to ‘great’ safety performance. The organisation operates in a highly dynamic risk environment.
About the organisation:
Established in 1920, Northpower has expanded from a North island owned and operated electricity distribution network to a large multi-utility contractor, with a reputation for excellence and innovation.
- Approximately 1100 employees
- Demographic split of 60/40 office/field mix
- Spread across 8 key geographic locations
- Engineering and trade based functional mix
Develop and partner in the implementation of a clear strategic roadmap which incorporated simultaneous top-down and bottom-up ownership of new health and safety approaches across the organisation.
Thirty-four representatives from a cross-section of the organisation lead each phase of the roadmap. This allowed a varied cohort of Northpower employees to contribute directly to the process as well as increase engagement and ownership. This also ensured that activities were communicated regularly across all levels of the organisation.
- Clear capability and competency development around safety leadership
- Leadership now engaged and transforming safety culture at every level of the organisation
- Hazard management approach has been transformed into overarching risk control management